Sunday, January 09, 2005

Touchdown

I landed in Bangalore around 6 a.m. today. It's now the afternoon. I have had a full day.

Things that caught my sleep-deprived eye:

-- Airport Road, which (duh) leads from the airport, is dusty. But around 7:30 in the morning, there are women cleaning up the sidewalks with straw whisks.

-- Lots of auto-rickshaws, which are a cross between a car and a motorcycle (you sit in the car part, the driver steers with motorcycle-style handlebars). The vehicle is open to the air (Note to self: Do NOT use auto-rickshaws during monsoon season unless desperate. Or wearing waterproof jacket and trousers).

-- Lots of people going barefoot.

-- Bullocks dragging carts (Note: A bullock looks like a cow but has two big horns.).

-- A cow in the street leading to my apartment building, eating trash alongside a couple of dogs.

-- Alongside all of this, gleaming modern buildings bearing company names like "Dell" or "Intel."

I went to the Taj West End for a welcome-to-Bangalore brunch with my new colleagues. The brunch featured Indian, Lebanese and Italian food, in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian varieties. It was very nice and very filling.

That's all for now. I'm wiped out and need some sleep. More later.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger susandennis said...

Amy Langfield sent me. You are now in my Bloglines Must Read list. I've never been to Bangalore and am looking forward to your guided tour! Thanks for doing this. Susan

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Idleez said...

Hey there - welcome to Bangalore !! Actually what caught my eye is the place you're staying at (yes - I checked out their Web site) - interesting to know that such a concept exists in Bangalore. I've been living here for the past 4 yrs now and never heard of such a thing as a condo for rent. BTW I'm a true-blue Indian "native" and work in one of the "gleaming" glass-and-concrete structures you saw while coming down Airport Road.

Enjoy !!
Idleez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home