Monday, May 02, 2005

Eats, Shoots and Throws Monkeys off a Cliff

Looking back over recent postings I noticed a grammatical error of the "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" variety:

We saw a temple built around 850 A.D., a cliff the Tipu Sultan -- who ruled Mysore in the 18th century -- used to get rid of people and lots of monkeys.

As far as I know, the sultan had no particular animus against simians. The sentence should have (and now does) read:

We saw a temple built around 850 A.D., a cliff the Tipu Sultan -- who ruled Mysore in the 18th century -- used to get rid of people, and lots of monkeys.

A tip of the copy editor's green visor to my brother, Jeremy, who spotted this before I did. He is an English teacher, after all.

3 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger HD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger HD said...

Hi Jonathan,

I've been reading your informative and amusing blog for a while now and thought I'd pitch in with a comment.

How's the ex-pat life over there? I'd expect there are a few other westerners to keep you company, but also hope you're immersing yourself in the local customs.

Gorgeous May Holiday weekend in UK. Extraordinary amounts of sunshine.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

OK, this is copy editor wife weighing in. How about:

'We saw a temple built around 850 A.D., lots of monkeys, and a cliff the Tipu Sultan (who ruled Mysore in the 18th century)liked to toss his dissenters from.'

Or did I just make it worse?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home