Sunday, May 01, 2005

Tippoo or Tipu?

A sharp-eyed reader notes that I misspelled Tippoo's drop in my last picture's caption. However, the reader suggested I should change it to "Tipu's Drop". My Rough Guide spells it that way, too. But I've also seen it spelled "Tippoo". So, for now, I've corrected the caption to read "Tippoo".

Tipu (or Tippoo) Sultan may very well be one of those names that -- because it's translated from another language written in different characters -- has alternative correct spellings. (E.g., you write "Quadaffi" but I write "Khaddafi").

Any opinions?

3 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Vc said...

Jonathan,

"When in Rome do as the Romans do ".. So its got to be Tipu Sultan.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Prashanth said...

I think it doesn't matter how you spell it when you're transliterating stuff from one language to another

.... as long as you don't misspell my name :p

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Kirthi said...

I agree with Vc on that. I suppose "Tipu" is the popularly used spelling too.
And Prashanth I would definitely appreciate it if you would have extended that generosity to my english transliterations of Tamizh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home