Sunday, February 13, 2005

What I'm cooking (and eating)

My friend John Barth asks where I shop, what I eat for breakfast and whether I'm cooking.

The answers:

I tend to shop at Nilgiri's, a grocery chain that is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. Nilgiri's and Food World are the closest thing you'll find here to a supermarket. They're good but tend to be small.

The markets have a mix of Indian food and Western food. So, if you want (and I did), you can buy Skippy chunky peanut butter for about $6. Expensive but cheaper than therapy.

The Nilgiri's I use is on Brigade Road, about 15-20 minutes from where I live. I tend to walk there on the weekend, then take a rickshaw home with my purchases (You don't see shopping carts around here. A rickshaw is my motorized shopping cart.)

There is also a little place near me where I can buy things like bottled water if I don't feel like walking to Nilgiri's.

Breakfast is pretty ordinary: toast with jam or cereal with milk or yogurt, washed down with tea or coffee are what I start the day with.

As for cooking, I do a little, mostly as a break from eating out. Restaurants tend to be not too expensive and often it's almost as cheap to eat out as it is to cook at home. My cooking tends to the simple rice or pasta and sauce variety. Nothing fancy.

3 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Karthik CS said...

"A rickshaw is my motorized shopping cart "


ha ha ha ... really very funny

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger kellyjeanne said...

Hi there! I lived in Bangalore from Feb 2002 to May 2003 - My husband was working with a MNC and I'm a housewife, so I had lots of time to seek out western "Stuff". I just thought I'd mention Sundays to Mondays if you haven't found it yet. It's an all import grocery.. they have things like Life cereal and Velveeta Mac and Cheese, European breads, imported cheeses, corn chips and salsa! It's on Victoria Rd.. which if I remember correctly is really not all that far from the Brigade Rd. Area. (Apologies if you've already found it.) I was mainly a Food World and market shopper, but when I got a craving for something really USA I headed for Sundays to Mondays.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger John Barth said...

Hey thanks Jon--very interesting. Got any favorite foods there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home